The light installation Phantom Lichtburg is located on the front plaza of Gartenstadt Atlantic, where once the legendary Lichtburg cinema served as a cultural centre. The large cinema, which opened in 1929 and was demolished in 1970, could seat 2,000 people. Its 40-metre-high light tower with around 15,000 light bulbs made it into a myth and remember bythe light installation Phantom Lichtburg.
The eight light pillars function as internally illuminated shutters arranged similar to a film sequence. As one passes by, the interplay of shutters, light surfaces, and views inside fragment the cityscape into individual cinematic shots.
Gartenstadt Atlantic, Berlin
Oil on metal